Friday, June 4, 2010

Serious training ahead.

Hello my beloved readers :P

anyways, lately, I discovered that I suck :P, well, compared to the real top tier players up there.

While my play style is unique and I have created lots of set ups for my game play. There is still one issue. Missing up inputs!

In the pro world, e.g. the Japanese league. Do you see anyone missing up his combo or whatever move their doing? In these high level games everyone is supposed to have mastered their inputs! You'd never see a Zangief jump with a punch coming out because he meant to do his grab but missed up. You'd never see a Ryu doing a SRK instead of an Ultra after a SRK FADC. Well, you might see, but I do not believe it would go above 5% error.

If you have your style and technique mastered. Imagine now added to that never missing a single combo? As I said above, in the pro league, everyone is expected to have mastered their inputs. The difference on who's gonna win is who knows the match up better. knowing the match up includes fast reaction to moves as well. Also some mix-ups and mind games. But if you know your match up, these two wont be as bothersome.

Now what have I done? I admit I dont spend enough time in training room. In real matches I keep missing some important combos and I eat ultras because of that. My accuracy is around 50% which is absolutely unacceptable. While it is true that my accuracy is around 50% I try to stick to easy combos and go for the mix-ups that viper has. But If I have like maybe even 80% accuracy on her more advanced moves I'd be even more annoying to play against :P.

I started working on my performance yesterday by first creating a table of tasks. These tasks are the moves that are most important to my character "Viper". I tried each task for a number of times and I would check my accuracy with that move. The moves I have most trouble with I would practice them more and repeat them daily for an undecided amount of times.



As we can see from the table, I've created my tasks which are around 16 moves. I gave each a bar for difficulty to pull out out of 5 and the importance of the move for me. Then an "out of" bar which shows how many times I have to do it to check my performance. Then as we can see under the 2nd of June which was yesterday there is the total which shows how many times I have successfully managed to pull out the move out of the limit number. I have 2 different percentages. The first one shows the normal percentage for all tasks, while the 2nd one applies the difficulty into it. because if I perform an easy move with 50% and a very hard move with 10% the normal average should be around 30% but the real average should be somewhere around 15~20% So as seen sadly my viper is around 50% only on success rate. (Advanced technique though).

now in the second table down is the daily repetition table. I haven't really decide what the formula for it should be. I simply used (1-%)*3*Importance*Difficulty+10
the less % I have the more repetitions I will do. 3 is a fixed number that I found reliably convenient, and finally the more difficult and important the move is the more I think I should repeat it. The final +10 is a fixed value in order if I perfected a move, I should still practice it so I wont get rusty :P

I might change the formula depending on how things go. So, now I test my performance everyday and depending on that I get a new table for the number of repetitions for the next day.

Some of the tasks have 1 and 2 in them, these are for the sides I'm on. 1 for being on the left side, 2 is for the right side.

Hmmm, I thought this post would've been a lil longer.. but oh well, I hope my method would help any of you guys if you think your performance is not up top notch. And if any has his/her own method please do share!

Well what am I doing here! time to go to training room!! :D

6 comments:

  1. That's a good start. I did write something like that on an excel file a bit ago, like stuff I want to learn and master. But I didn't have like training drills like how many times did I do it right/wrong. I guess I should try your way.

    One more thing I want to suggest to you is: Focus on your character, when you play online with anyone or offline with us, stick to viper. It certainly helps I guess to play with your char, not just spend 50 million hours in training mode. I know that you like practicing on all characters of the game, but leave that for now until you master c.viper :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats really cool, and I agree that its important to focus on Viper for now till you feel good about your training results. I always thought one big difference on why Japanese players are better than Americans is that they tend to stick with one character no matter what matchup they face, as opposed to americans who go for counter-picking more often.

    Also, here is a suggestion: since all the matches you play are recorded in the battle log, you should also make a similar table on your performance in actual matches, and compare it to your training results. A lot of players, like myself, do a lot better in execution in training, and mess up in real matches due to pressure. Make sure you are consistent in both :D

    Also, there is a rythem tool that can help some players, not sure if it will help you in combos, but its worth a try: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/may/28/using-metronome-improve-your-link-combo-timing/

    Good luck :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question about c.viper.... I'm trying to master her cuz she's a tricky player... I just finished all her trials in ssfiv ....

    I go in training mode.. I choose c.viper for myself and the CPU. I make the CPU on hardest and train a bit.... I realized that the CPU did something Strange... I tried to do it but I failed every time.....


    The move where she punches the ground... I can do it with ex and a normal one right after it..


    The CPU does the normal punch to ground twice without ex and fast... How do u do is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. meemee! how are you ^_^, Mastering viper will take you a really long long time. But a long journey starts with a step ^_^.
    The move where she punches the ground is called "Seismo Hammer", we short it for Seismo.
    the only thing you can do after a seismo is a super jump. the trick we use is to cancel the super jump as soon as it happens. this technique is called the kara technique, which is changing a move as soon as we do it.

    after doing a seismo, a super jump must be done then just as before she jumps, do another seismo.
    The way I do it is that after the normal seismo, I do another seismo input, but I add an "up" direction to it.
    So after the first seismo i press "Forward, Down, Down-Forward, Up" then punch.

    What happen is that the Up we put makes viper do a super jump, but because we inputted the seismo input as well, a seismo will come out instead.

    I hope that I have helped you. Have fun with viper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fine and thank you so much, this helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your methods/ideas SedoSan, they'll help me improve my game with Akuma.

    About consistency with combos, it's very difficult for people like me who usually play online and don't have a good offline scene where they live(like Bahrain). No matter how good a connection is, there will always be an amount of lag (it's usually at least 40-50 ms, which is a few frames already).

    I've seen the likes of Daigo, Mago or Tokido drop combos often online playing SSFIV that I almost never seen them drop when they're playing on arcades (like Ryu's jab > sweep link), they even use crazy amounts of plinking, double plinking..etc in their game, but still not enough to be consistent online.

    As for the other comments, I am guilty of using way too many different characters instead of focusing on my main, I'm even garbage with many, yet I still like to play 'em every once in a while lol, I really should start focusing on Akuma and train the right way so I can finally be above scrub level at this game !

    ReplyDelete